Recent developments of interest in cardiovascular medicine
Vericiguat got cheers for its win in reducing heart failure hospitalization or cardiovascular death in the pivotal VICTORIA trial in heart failure with reduced ejection fraction, despite top-line results only for now. (Endpoints News)
Aside from ISCHEMIA, the other major late-breaking clinical trials, and (who can forget) the Puppy Snuggles Zone, there was much more happening at the American Heart Association (AHA) meeting in Philadelphia:
- Omecamtiv mecarbil didn't hurt diastolic function in the phase II COSMIC-HF trial in patients with heart failure and systolic dysfunction, Amgen, Cytokinetics, and Servier announced
- Twice-yearly inclisiran halved LDL in heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia in the phase III ORION-9 trial, akin to the ORION-10 results in the secondary prevention setting, The Medicines Company announced
- Looking just at emergency department treatment in a post-hoc analysis of the SPECTRUM study, vernakalant (Brinavess) converted atrial fibrillation to sinus rhythm in 70.2% of all treated episodes, Correvio announced
- Medical therapy for angina guided by invasive coronary angiography led to better resolution of symptoms and quality of life (JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions)
- Anatomic testing provided better prognostication in evaluating chest pain in younger patients, whereas functional testing was better for seniors in the PROMISE trial (JAMA Cardiology)
Amid a major campaign from the AHA against youth vaping, Apple said it would eliminate all vaping-related apps from its App Store. (Cardiovascular Business)
Apple also launched its Heart and Movement Study for a longitudinal look at how heart health factors are linked to physical activity. (MobiHealthNews)
CT imaging of all stroke patients -- not just those thought to be candidates for thrombectomy -- improved large vessel occlusion detection, sped intervention, and showed a trend for improved outcomes. (Stroke)
Summary death reports are still rolling into the FDA from Watchman and other heart devices despite the agency saying it had stopped one such controversial program, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.
A multidisciplinary expert panel released recommendations for anticoagulant reversal strategies in the emergency department in the Annals of Emergency Medicine.
The Revivent TC System, a transcatheter device to cinch scarred left ventricle tissue together akin to surgical remodeling for heart failure got breakthrough device status from the FDA, BioVentrix announced.
Edwards Lifesciences is recalling its Pascal transcatheter valve repair system due to potential for embolization from damage to the inner line in manufacturing. (MassDevice)
A novel pacing strategy to enhance respiratory sinus arrhythmia increased cardiac blood flow in a rat model of heart failure. (Journal of Physiology)
The American Medical Association and AHA announced a survey showing that about half of healthcare providers haven't been trained on blood pressure measurement since school, which the groups said emphasizes a need for their new online training course.
Read the original article on Medpage Today: New HF Drug Scores in Phase III; Post-LVAD Meds; Angio-Guided Med Tx